Part of the Challenger ethos and commitment is to aim to deliver the best possible service and ensure we comply with all Health and Safety regulations. We are proud members of Portable Sanitation Europe (PSE). The Professional body and only UK based trade association dedicated to improving standards within our industry.
All of our staff are registered and trained on the National Sanitation Qualification (NSQ) scheme, our operations manager Robert Allen holds a NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety and we retain the services of HR & Business Solutions Ltd to aid and ensure our compliance with the Health & Safety regulations.
We are CHAS accredited members and have just successfully renewed our certification for another 12 months.
Some areas of our annual H&S review include:
- Risk Assessments – our risk assessments identify any potential hazards, who might be effected and how. We then ensure suitable and sufficient control measures are in place to eliminate or significantly reduce the risk of the hazard.
- Method Statements - our method statements work in relation to the risk assessments and provide our staff with the correct and safe method to perform tasks during their daily duties
- COSHH Assessments - from the chemicals in our portable toilets to the soap he use to clean our vehicles. All chemicals have been assessed using the Manufactures safety data sheets; the assessments include first aid instructions, safe handling instructions, safe use instructions and spillage procedures.
- PAT Testing - all portable electrical equipment that we use is tested to ensure the safety of the product whilst it’s in use.
- Display Screen Equipment Assessments - all users of DSE complete self-assessments to ensure they are comfortable, safe and not straining themselves through prolonged use or awkward seating positions.
- H&S Audit - this year we had our H&S audit conducted externally out by HR & Business Solutions Ltd, the benefits of this include a fresh set of eyes to see potential hazards that internal staff may have become blind to on a day to day basis. That being said, the audit provided us with fantastic results and confirmed our high H&S standards.
- H&S policy
- Environmental Policy
- Fire Risk Assessment &Equipment
- First Aid Requirements
- Manual Handling
- Water Quality
Examples of some of the changes we have made include;
- An updated Emergency Fire Plan
- An updated Method Statements to incorporate our improved water hygiene procedures.
- An updated spillage procedures
- All NSQ training programmes up to date
Health and Safety is paramount to any business. Not only is there a legal obligation but also a moral one as well. To ensure the health & safety of all Challenger Site Services staff, customers, contractors and members of the public, is something we take very seriously. Whilst our policies and procedures rarely change it’s important to review our H&S responsibilities at regular intervals, or whenever a significant change is made within the business.